Building & Zoning

Harshman CE Group, LLC handles Building and Zoning and Code Enforcement for the Borough of Sewickley.  For code enforcement questions or requests please fill out a Request for Service form and submit it to rm@harshmanllc.comA representative may be reached by calling 724-993-4505. Office hours: Thursdays 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or by appointment.  

Submission Deadlines

There are submission deadlines for Historic Review, Zoning Public Hearings, and Planning Commission Reviews. If you are interested in, or are required to, submit an application for any of these meetings, please click here to review the submission deadlines.

When do I need a Building Permit?

Residential and Commercial Construction in the Borough of Sewickley requires a permit from the Building Department.  Construction or repair of a fence and installation of a driveway requires a dedicated permit.  Printable copies are linked below, or you may stop in the Borough office to obtain one.  Other related applications along with the required fee can be downloaded at your convenience from the Forms, Permits & Applications page.

Residential Building Permit Application
Non-Residential Commercial Building Permit Application
Residential Fence Application
Driveway Application

Am I in an Historic District?  Click here for the Historic District Map.
If yes, all exterior work performed within the three historic districts must conform to the Borough of Sewickley's Code of Ordinances Chapter 198-Historic Districts, which includes the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation.

It is the responsibility of the Historic Review Commission to recommend to Council whether to issue a Certificate of Appropriateness.  A Certificate of Appropriateness must be issued by the Historic Review Commission and approved by Borough Council prior to the issuance of a building permit.  A complete Historic Review Application and submission packet must be received one week prior to the Historic Review Commission meeting in order to be added to the meeting agenda.  

Every business and enterprise shall obtain an Occupancy Permit from the Zoning Officer.  The cost of the permit is $100.

All business/enterprises shall obtain a Sign Permit and comply with the Signage Regulations.  Also, please see Ordinance #1367 which has amended parts of the Signage Regulations.

Commercial buildings and/or additions shall comply with the Subdivision & Land Development Ordinance #1310.

The Zoning Ordinance and the Official Zoning Maps (updated May 16, 2016) specify all restrictions in each zoning district.

Property Maintenance Issues

  • Grass shall not exceed 6 inches in height and yards shall be maintained.
  • Snow and ice are to be removed from all sidewalks within 24 hours of snowfall.
  • Garbage is not to be placed out for pick up until the night before service.