Shade Tree Commission
- 7 p.m.
- 2nd Monday of every month
- 2nd floor of the Municipal Building
601 Thorn Street
Sewickley, PA 15143
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Kathy Brandt, Chairperson
- Jim Edson, Arborist
- Brian Finley
- Andrew Frishkorn, Secretary
- Cynthia Mullins, Council Representative
- Dave Parker
The Shade Tree Commission consists of five Board members, along with a Councilman and the Borough Manager. The Shade Tree Commission reviews, decides and provides a recommendation concerning tree removal applications within the Borough right of way. The Commission meets the second Monday of the month in Council Chambers and the meetings begin at 7 p.m. If you are planning to plant or remove a tree, fill out the form and return it to the Borough of Sewickley or contact the Borough at (412) 741-4015.
Apply to join the Tree Commission by submitting Tree Commission Application online form.
Duties & Responsibilities
- The Shade Tree Commission shall assist the Borough Manager, as well as the Council and Citizens of the Borough in the dissemination of news and information regarding the selection, planting and maintenance of trees within the corporate limits, whether the same be on private or public property and to make such recommendations from time to time to Council as the desirable legislation concerning the tree planting program and activities for the Borough.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall be responsible for reviewing the plans for residential, commercial and industrial developments in order to ascertain the number and size of trees proposed to be removed from building sites and to make recommendations concerning the retention of existing trees on said sites and the planting of new trees in areas where trees have been removed.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall consider all existing and proposed buildings, utilities and environmental factors when recommending the planting of a specific species or other work for all streets and public sites within the Borough.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall convene Regular and Special meetings at which the subject of trees, insofar as it relates to the Borough may be discussed by members of the Tree Commission, Officers and Personnel of the Borough and its several divisions and all others interested in the tree program.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall develop and maintain a list of desirable large, medium and small trees for planting in parks, along streets and on other public sites based on mature height. Lists of trees not suitable for planting in these areas shall also be created by the Tree Commission.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall have the authority to amend or add to the Master Tree Plan at any time that circumstances make it advisable.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall have the authority to formulate a Master Tree Plan. The Master Tree Plan shall include the inventory of existing public trees and shall specify the requirements for the care, preservation, pruning, planting, replanting, and removal or disposition of trees in parks, along streets and on other public sites and shall specify the species of tree to be planted in these areas. The Master Tree Plan shall be updated and presented to Council annually and upon their acceptance and approval shall constitute the official comprehensive Master Tree Plan for the Borough. From and after the effective date of the Master Tree Plan, or any amendment thereof, all planting shall conform thereto.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall have the authority to investigate and recommend "Reasonable Conditions" to the granting of a permit in accordance with the terms of this Ordinance.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall have the responsibility of inventory (and classifying as to location, species, size condition and evaluation) the existing public trees, as an integral part of the Master Tree Plan. This inventory shall be updated annually.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall recommend to the Borough Manager and Public Works Foreman the type and kind of trees to be planted upon such Borough Streets or parts of Borough Streets or in parks as designated.
- The Shade Tree Commission shall work in conjunction with civic and public interest groups devoted to tree care and preservation.
- The Shade Tree Commission, when requested by Council, shall consider, investigate, make finding, report and recommend upon any special matter or question coming within the scope of its work. The Shade Tree Commission shall study the problems and determine the needs of the Borough in connection with its tree planting program.